I promise I am working to get new pictures up. I had Hope take pictures yesterday, but they didn't turn out, so I'm still needing to get them done!
When we finally made concrete plans to come back one of our priorities was to make sure we were praying for the nannies. For nearly that whole year we were gone we prayed and prayed that God would prepare nannies who not only loved the children, but would be capable, flexible with our misunderstandings and cultural differences. People who would either be believers, or who's hearts would be soft and that through the ministry of caring for the children they would see Jesus.
During the first few hectic and even scary weeks, more than a year after we began praying for these women, I wasn't sure we were going to make it. We fired, on the second day, a Christian nanny, and our other nanny who is a Christian has caused countless headaches and many frustrating days. We couldn't find anyone who wanted to work for what we were told, and what we thought, was a good salary, in fact we had to call an agency and pay nearly DOUBLE what we had hoped and planned. To say we were disappointed and a little afraid would be an understatement. We honestly didn't know what to do. How could these women that we have been praying for so long for be so difficult? Surely this isn't the answer to our prayer.
So, we did, what perhaps was what we were supposed to do all along, we stepped back, and let the Lord. And you know what.....as expected, things are going great. There are oh so many things I could be worrying about, but I'm choosing to pray about them and leave them at His feet where they belong.
For some reason in this long process of starting the home there has been one thing that has been a top priority for me, to sit down and talk with the nannies about what we are doing. It may sound a little funny, but it has been something I have daydreamed about, long before we returned, about sitting down and having a conversation. Of course I knew my language skills wouldn't be good enough, and I never even wanted to try, I just wanted someone who could translate so that there was no miscommunication. Many, many times I have been told that business isn't done here like that. To run a business you must be firm with your employees, none of this touchy feely stuff. And I agree, and I have had to be firm, and I have had to step back sometimes, but ultimately, we aren't here to run a business. Of course there is business that has to be done, but we are here to be hands and feet. To touch lives, to save lives if it is in our power to do so, to work with our brothers and sisters, and to share Jesus at ever step.
And so last night I finally got that opportunity. I sat down with our nannies, I told them why we were doing this, I told them what I expected, I thanked them, I told them what the plans were for the near future. No one had any concerns, no one had any complaints. I sat down with 4 women who don't know Jesus, 3 of them who have never even thought about caring for orphans, and you know what, they thanked us for doing this. And I say this with all humility, because it wasn't us who did anything. These women who we have prayed and prayed for, these women who I thought couldn't possibly be an answer to prayer when we hired them, love these babies, care for these babies, have at least 3 sleepless nights every week, don't mind that sometimes I say the wrong thing and sometimes forget that they need vegetables or toilet paper (well ok, so the toilet paper I make a priority,) these women thanked us for coming to help. Yep, I'm a puddle. And I'm going to keep praying for these women, as they care for these precious, but sick and needy babies, and we will see what the Lord has next!